Dark circles under the eyes are a common problem in Indians. They give a tired and sad appearance to the face. Under certain lighting conditions ,the brow bone shadow falls on the lower eyelid making the dark circles look worse . The eyelid skin is thinnest in the body with no underlying fat. Beneath the skin lies the highly vascular muscle. These vessels are seen through the thin skin given the reddish blue appearance. Sometimes the skin itself gets more pigmented.
Eye surgeons are best at treating this area . Get in touch with DRR Face Aesthetics team (+91 9790996255) to experience the difference with a single session of under-eye treatment.
Worried about your beauty?
Ask Dr. Priti for an expert opinion
Frequently Asked Questions
Dark circles are darkening of skin around the eye. Eye bags are due to loosening/ sagging of skin around the eyes and bulging of fat into the eyelids. Sometimes these bulges increase the appearance of dark circles by causing a shadowing below the bulges.
There are many factors that contribute to dark circles.
- Genetic factors-even kids can have dark circles due to their specific bone structure around the eyes.
- Environmental factors especially sun damage causes further thinning of skin and dilatation of underlying vessels worsening the dark circles.
- Hormonal changes can cause pigmentation, fluid collection and dilated vessels.
- Lack of sleep/ Insomnia.
- Vitamin / iron deficiency.
- Thinning of skin due to ageing.
- Allergies and certain skin conditions can cause pigmentation.
Lifestyle changes and few home remedies may help reduce dark circles.
- Follow and maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
- Avoid smoking ,alcohol and excessive tea / coffee.
- Placing cold sliced cucumber/ potato or chilled tea bags or ice compresses over eyelids can actually reduce the dilated blood vessels which give the dark tone to the skin! So yes they do help.
- Dehydration can worsen the look of dark circles. Drink adequate amount of water. Drinking water hydrates the skin and makes it thicker so that the underlying muscle is less seen.
- Make sure you remove your eye makeup before going to bed. Eyes are extremely sensitive, hence, ensure eye products are safe.
- Try to get enough sleep. Eyes are the first to reveal lack of sleep. Try restricting use of electronics just before sleeping to ensure better sleep.
Dermal filler injections are very useful in treating dark circles by filling the hollows and reducing the light shadows. They can also lift the saggy cheeks and give support to the lower eyelid to make the dark circles disappear. The results are seen immediately and the injections take 15-20 minutes. They are painless.
Hyaluronic acid fillers are FDA approved and very safe . Hyaluronic acid is normally present in the joints in the body.
15-20 months. There are different products available. Get a consultation with our doctor to know which product is suitable for you.
Usually one session is enough. Sometimes a second touch- up session may be needed.
You may get some bruising and swelling which will disappear after 3-5 days. Very rarely there can be infection or lump formation.
When there are lower lid bags/bulges and loose skin, you may need blepharoplasty surgery.
Fat injections are an alternative.
Our goal is to provide you with the best possible care and expertise. Do contact us at +91 9790996255 for any further clarifications.
People may be able to reduce the appearance of dark circles under the eyes with simple home remedies.
If home remedies do not get rid of dark circles under the eyes, a person can see a qualified doctor for advice on medical treatment.
Medical treatment options include:
If thinning of the skin or loss of fatty tissue is causing dark circles under the eyes, Dermal filler Injections may be a potential option. These injections can be given in the clinic and the effect can be seen immediately. It is reversible. So if you don’t like it, an enzyme injection can dissolve the gel. To know more about this procedure, click here.