Blepharoplasty is a type of surgery that involves removal of excess skin, muscle and/or fat from the eyelids. As you age, eyelid skin tends to stretch ,thin out and hang and the muscles that support it may weaken. As a result, fat may protrude and become visible as lumps or bagginess in the upper or lower eyelid .These changes may be seen along with sagging of the eyebrows.
Other than making you look older, the skin sagging around the eye can reduce your peripheral vision or side vision, especially around the upper and outer part in the field of vision. A blepharoplasty can reduce as well as eliminate vision problems, making your eyes appear younger as well as more alert. Let us see whether blepharoplasty is right for you and how you can realistically expect and explore the benefits as well as risks of blepharoplasty.
Why must it be done?
A blepharoplasty treatment in Chennai can be taken if you have
- Baggy or droopy upper eyelids
- Excess skin of the upper eyelids that interferes with your peripheral vision
- Excess skin on the lower eyelids
- Bags under your eyes
There are no constraints as such for doing blepharoplasty treatment in Chennai and you can undergo treatment at the same time as another procedure such as a brow lift, facelift or skin resurfacing.
Are there any risks?
Some of the possible risks that this Oculoplastic treatment in Chennai includes are the following
- Dry or irritated eyes
- Infection and bleeding
- Injury to eye muscles
- Skin discolouration
- Difficulty in closing the eye completely
- Temporary blurred vision
Talk to the doctor to know how these surgical risks may apply to you. When you understand what is involved in blepharoplasty and weigh the benefits and risks, you can decide the right option for you. Before you undergo eyelid surgery, you will be undergoing the following
- Eye examination: Your surgeon will be asking you questions that are related to previous surgeries, past and current conditions such as dry eyes, glaucoma, allergies, etc. Your tear production and parts of the eyelids will be measured.
- Medical history: Your surgeon will ask you questions about previous surgeries and past/current conditions such as allergies, circulatory problems, diabetes etc. Your doctor will ask you about the medicines or supplements that you take.
- Vision Examination: Your eye doctor at Eye care hospital in Chennai will examine your vision including peripheral vision. This will also be needed to support an insurance claim. Photographs will be taken of your eyes from different angles to help them plan the surgery, assess the long term and immediate results, support claims etc.
What happens during the procedure?
A Blepharoplasty is usually done as a day care procedure and the surgeon will first inject some numbing medication into the eyelids after appropriate markings. Surgery on the upper lid involves incision on the crease of the eyelid, removal of excess skin, muscle, fat as required and closure of the skin cut. On the lower lid, the surgeon makes a cut on the inner side of the eyelid .Then removal or redistribution of excess fat, muscle, and sagging skin is done and the cut is closed . If the upper eyelid margin is droopy, your surgeon will do a Blepharoplasty along with a procedure called Ptosis correction. Sometimes a brow lift is combined with blepharoplasty.
Many people generally express satisfaction with the results of blepharoplasty, as it gives a more rested and youthful appearance. There may be slight bruising or swelling. Taking proper care can help.